The Society's rules for Membership are defined in the Constitution
The Society permits several categories of membership:
Full Membership, Honorary Membership, Corresponding Membership and Associate Membership
Rule 4 states:
Membership: Full Membership shall be available, upon payment of the appropriate fee, to Consultants, Associate Specialists, Staff Grades, Specialist Trainees, Lecturers, Research Fellows and basic scientists in any speciality who are committed to an area of paediatric gastroenterology, hepatology or nutrition. Only Full Members will have voting rights at the Annual General Meeting and Special Meetings. Proposals for Full Membership shall be submitted to the Council by a full member on the Society’s Proposal Form. Proposals for Full Membership shall be submitted to the Administrator and Convenor, BSPGHAN who shall be responsible for deciding on the suitability of applicants for membership of the society. Applications may be put forward to the Council if there is a need to discuss any relating issues such as a suitable proposer not being available for the new applicant.
Those approved for membership will be required to complete a Member’s Registration Form and to pay the Society’s subscription in order to become a member.
Members owing 2 years of membership fees or equivalent debt to the society will be regarded as no longer in good standing with the society. They will be formally requested in writing for payment to be made within 30 days. Members who continue to remain in other than good standing with the Society, may have their membership withdrawn by the Society following discussion at Council.
Honorary Membership* may be conferred by the Society, at the recommendation of Council, upon distinguished colleagues who have made an outstanding contribution to paediatric gastroenterology, whether they be members of the Society or not. Upon retirement, Full Members may apply in writing to the Secretary to become Honorary Members. Honorary Members are not be required to pay the annual subscription fee and do not have voting rights at the Annual General Meeting nor at Special Meetings.
Addition to Rule 4: The BAPS representative (Surgeon) nominated to represent BAPS on the BSPGHAN council will automatically become an honorary member of the BSPGHAN, for time serving on council, if already not member of the BSPGHAN.
- Not having to be subjected to membership approval process - but continues only while representing BAPS on council
- Full consultant Member's rates at BSPGHAN conferences and affiliated societies
- No voting rights at council
- Reimbursement of expenses, in accordance with BSPGHAN guidelines at council and elsewhere
- Right to be a member of a working group
Associate Membership shall be available, upon payment of an appropriate concessionary fee, to any non-medically qualified health professional who are committed to clinical service and/or research in paediatric gastroenterology, hepatology or nutrition. Associate Members do not have voting rights at the Annual General Meeting or at Special Meetings.
Rule 5 states:
Members moving abroad may request to become Corresponding Members and shall pay a Corresponding Membership charge. Membership shall be open to Paediatric Gastroenterologists and Hepatologists from overseas for the duration of their clinical or research attachments in the UK. On their departure they would normally be required to become Corresponding Members if they so desired.
Student membership shall be available to undergraduate medical and allied health care students upon payment of an appropriate concessionary fee. Student members may quality for reduced registration rates for the BSPGHAN Annual meeting to be decided by the local organizer.
Members temporarily working outside the specialty may request to become Suspended Members for up to 2 years and re-join the Society without reapplying. If membership is suspended for more than 2 years, a Full Member shall be required to submit a further nomination for full membership to Council on the Society’s proposal form. If a further proposal were not received then the person would be removed from the Society’s mailing list.
Students or Suspended members would not be required to pay the annual subscription fee and would not have voting rights at the annual general meeting or at Special meetings. Suspended members would not be entitled to membership benefits such as reduced rates for BSPGHAN or BSPGHAN affiliated meetings.
Rule 14 states:
Members wishing to relinquish full membership shall have the opportunity of resignation or adoption of Corresponding Membership.
To become a full member the following is required:
- You must fulfil the criteria for Full Membership detailed in the Constitution.
- You must be nominated by an existing Full Member of BSPGHAN.
- The application should contain (a) a statement of support from the nominator using the BSPGHAN Full Membership Application Form, and (b) a short (2 page) Curriculum Vitae which includes your email address.
- Your application should be submitted by the nominator and sent to the Convenor (firstname.lastname@example.org) and copied to the assistant administrator email@example.com
- Your nomination will be considered at Council (usually within 5 working days) and your nominator will be informed of the Council's decision by email.
To become an Associate Member the following is required:
- You must fulfil the criteria for Associate Membership as detailed in the Constitution.
- Your application should be submitted to the Chair of the Associate Members Group e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- The application should contain (a) a letter justifying your suitability for Associate Membership (b) a short (2 page) Curriculum Vitae which includes your email address, and (c) a copy of the completed Associate Member Registration Form
Your nomination will be considered by the convenor and decision notified via email
Membership costs (current at 1st September 2018: Full member (trainees and consultants) - £100 per year; Associate Members (Allied Health Professionals) £20.00 per year; Overseas members £33.00 per year. Membership year runs from 1st April to 31st March. Members who join after April and before March are charged a pro rata fee. Payment is by Direct Debit except for members who do not have a UK bank account and cannot set up a direct debit
BAPEN is now offering free membership to all BSPGHAN members. For full details go to https://www.bapen.org.uk/core-group-membership/